Narenjestan Ghavam is located on Lotfali Khan Zand Street. It was built by Mohammad Ali Khan and Mohammad Reza Khan Ghavam-ol-Molk, between the years 1875 to 1885. In 1966, Ebrahim Ghavam donated this building to Shiraz University. In 1968, the works of Professor Pope, which included thousands of photographs and handicrafts from Iran, China and Japan were exhibited there, which was then turned into a museum. On two pieces of stone, on both sides of the door, there are engravings of Qajar soldiers. At the back of the entrance, there’s a porch that leads to the garden courtyard through two corridors on the left and right. Behind the entrance porch, there is a beautiful tile-work that depicts three servants in Zandieh clothes. In the garden, sour oranges, ornamental palms, and decorative flowers are planted. In front of the mansion, there is a large stone pool with a fountain in the middle.
In a Nutshell
Narenjestan Ghavam Museum is one of the top museums in Shiraz. The place was built by Ghavam-ol-Molk during Qajar era. This complex initially included the palace, garden, bathroom, chain house, stables, and a schoolhouse. The chain house and stables were destroyed during historical events, but the rest are intact. A variety of traditional Iranian arts such as paintings, plastering, traditional brickwork, tile work, mosaic work on wood, carving, and mirror work can be seen in Narenjestan Ghavam.
Time: 8:00 A.M to 6:30 P.M.